So, I've decided that I have interesting exchanges with strangers.
I had to run to Wal Mart to pick up another jar of pasta sauce. With a child who probably has ASD, we follow a pretty restrictive diet, which excludes milk and wheat products. We've also recently discovered that he's sensitive to corn and all corn products. So, we're limited to say the least. I finally found a pasta sauce we can use and isn't awful and we can actually get at the Wal Mart in town, and yes. It's $8. A jar. And no, it's not an exceptionally big jar, either.
At this point in my sanity, I say, screw it. I'm pretty good about keeping our grocery bill reasonable, especially since we're on an expensive diet. Yeah, I'm going to spend almost ten dollars on a jar of pasta sauce if it makes our lives a little less miserable.
Anyway, that's all I had at the checkout. A cart full of kids, the balloons they brought with them, and one jar of pasta sauce. The cashier checked us out and read the total amount owed at the end of it. And then she exclaimed, "Wow! For a jar of pasta sauce? I just get the $0.99 stuff."
I was like, "Um...it's really, really good."
Anyone who's got the gift of the witty comeback...you wanna share some of that skill? Clearly, I've got none.
"The jar's collectible. "
ReplyDelete"Its laced with crack. My kids love it. "
"I had a coupon."
Clearly I'm missing the sarcasmo gene as well. But seriously, wth I have never heard of an $8 jar if spaghetti sauce... What brand is it? Now you've peaked my curiosity.
Haha, I like those. It's actually a local brand, I think. Those Mom and Pop brands have to be expensive to stay in business, you know? It's called Rao's homemade. I love it. Love it, love it, love it, and that's saying something because I'm a total marinara snob.
ReplyDeleteA really good, cheap, easy homemade marinara. One can crushed tomatoes. Add whatever, garlic sauteed in olive oil, onions, crushed red pepper, Italian herb mix. Fairly effortless, and you can keep it to ingredients your family can have.
ReplyDelete