It's sort of been an unintentional mantra for me when I make my requests in prayer. It's probably not a great guideline because, well, sometimes I need a kick in the pants. But I always ask for it very, very carefully.
So I'm trying to think of how to pray these days. Energy? Nah, not really. It's true that I do feel like sleeping all the time, but it's not really the issue. I still don't feel like if I got a good nights' sleep, I'd be ready to tackle the dishes, or the cooking, or anything else. Motivation? Oh, such a cliche. And if I don't feel like my family is enough motivation, then well, I'm a prideful woman. I just don't like what that says about me.
What do I pray for, then, if not a kick in the pants?
I mean, something's gotta happen, pronto. I have dishes to get off my counter. I have William's pantry to fill at school for the week (and it's after 10 pm on a Monday). I have the GRE to study for. I've got a birthday to plan for my son, even though it's probably going to include nothing more than a gluten-free cake and a candle that will probably bewilder him a little. And the weather's getting cooler, and we all feel just plain cold, so apparently I have some shopping to do. What do I want to do? Eat popcorn and watch Burn Notice. Sorry, kids. Y'all are just going to have to eat oatmeal every night off dirty dishes and huddle together so you don't freeze to death while I veg out on the couch. I mean....unacceptable.
So, here I go, wincing and, um, holding an umbrella.
Dear Lord. Please kick me in the pants.
In the nicest way, if you don't mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment