Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Normal. Not, actually. But you know...Normal.

Yesterday was a normal day, nothing exciting.

I dropped off the kids. I went to work. I picked up William early for his haircut. He got a haircut and now he looks even more beautiful than he did originally. We came home. I cleaned the house. I tried, anyway. Our priest came over for a house blessing, and then the kids went to bed. I watched a movie with my husband, and we went to bed.

On closer inspection, though...

I dropped off the kids. That is a complicated and yet well-oiled machine. This is nothing if not a victory to have one out of two kids and husband dropped off, and halfway to Lafayette at 8am every morning.

I went to work. After seven years of him-hawing and freaking out about whether I'm qualified, whether I'm a stay-at-home mom or a work-somewhere-else one, blahbity blah...I am now a bona fide columnist. So I drop off William, find a place I can park my laptop, and I do what I love for four hours every morning. Another blessing and victory.

I picked up William early, and he had his haircut. Remember the last time he had his hair cut? It was a vast improvement over previous haircuts, and I still had to hold him down with both forearms and someone else had to hover over him with a wet washcloth to wipe the cuttings sticking to his tear-soaked face. Yesterday? No crying. None at all. And done in ten minutes flat. That's a win.

I cleaned the house, or tried. In 2012, my house has looked better than it has in the entire time that our names have been on the lease. I am embracing the church's idea of being industrious at the proper times, and resting when it's time to rest. During the day, I will stay busy. After the kids are in bed and we've cleaned the kitchen, I sit down and enjoy something until bed time. My house is not out of control, finally, and the prospect of guests no longer initiates an all-day desperation scrub-down. Hallelujah.

Our priest came over for a house blessing. Okay, so that's not an everyday event, but one worth noting. I am thankful.

I watched a movie with my husband. The movie sucked, but the time spent with him was precious. Every moment I have with him--especially the where the fellowship is holy and loving--is a miracle and a gift.

I went to bed and slept. No kids awake in the middle of the night, no anxious insomnia. Only sweet rest.

Just a normal day, full of miracles. Anything but normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews last month