Today, I will watch my little boy in pain. A lot of it.
No, he's not getting bloodwork done. And he's not going to the dentist (that's next week). Nor is he throwing up again and making a trip to the ER.
We're getting his first salon haircut today.
I suppose that should sound funny. But the last haircut he had was excruciating. I later asked an expert on autism (who actually has Asperger's himself) who visited the college what the deal was with haircuts, and he said it hurts. It feels, with every snip, like each little individual hair is being pulled out of your head. Ouch.
So I'm a little nervous about today.
As I pray for peace, I've come to realize that it's just another day I'm watching him struggle, muster up all his bravery, and shine like a rock star. He's a tough little cookie, you know? He'll probably cry. He'll probably be miserable. But I know that he'll get through it because that's how he rolls.
I have heard for a long time that it is always important to pray for your children, and I've decided to extend more effort toward that end during their naps. I broke out the Akathist to the Mother of God:Nurturer of Children yesterday, which is a lovely plea from one mother to the best mother for her prayers. (For my non-Orthodox loved ones, we do not substitute prayers, like, pray to Mary instead of Jesus. We request the supplications of those who led holy lives before us, just as you would ask those living for their prayers. We do not believe that death prevents us requesting prayer from those whose time on earth have pointed us to Christ.)
It asks, at one point, for Mary to pray to her Son that the children will learn to work diligently. And I thought to myself, upon that supplication, hm. William is the hardest-working three-year-old I've ever met. May Jesus have mercy and grant him more strength.
So you know. I'll watch and pray, watch and pray. And God will be merciful, as He always is. We'll be all right.
And hopefully, we will come home having left his nasty mullett behind.
I'll pray, too!
ReplyDeleteI love that Akathist.