Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Peers

I never realized how dangerous is it to self-isolate until I didn't. Isolate, that is.

I am realizing this week how happy I am when I'm around people. True, that may be in part a happy front, but you know, I'm learning not to knock that front. The whole fake it till ya make it thing has at least a little merit. We have friends over, and I turn on the happy. They leave, and I don't feel like turning it off. It's nice.

Also on the nice list is a new beginning that starts tomorrow morning: preschool. Nora, William, and I visited her new school this morning to meet her teacher and explore the classrooms a little. She's going to love it. I can tell she's nervous (and, let's be honest; so am I), but after she really gets used to it, she's going to fall in love. And...so am I. :)

I never understood why moms dropped off their kid at school and got all weepy. I couldn't connect with that idea AT ALL. I mean, the kid's having fun, they're learning, and you get a little time off. What's not to love? Now I get it. To be fair, I think there's a lot more to it for other moms than this, but here's my take.

What if she's emotional? What if she misses me? What if she's scared, and doesn't like the unfamiliar? The thing is, we all know how it feels to start something new. We all know how it feels to be at the mercy of someone who's "bigger" than you, and who may or may not give you a choice to do what you want. It's scary; it's uncomfortable. And when you're little, nothing makes you want Mama more than anything scary or uncomfortable.

I know she'll be fine. I know, given a week or two, she's going to wake up excited and be ready at the door before I've gotten both feet out of bed.

I just have to remember that when I leave her at the door tomorrow. Funny how I can be learning the same thing about myself that my three-year-old is. It's good to be with your peers. You think you don't need it, but you do.

2 comments:

  1. i must be a horrible parent. i didn't cry my son's first day of preschool. i didn't even take pictures. i walked him in and dropped him off. all the other moms had cameras. i just didn't think it was that big a deal. maybe for kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Not at all. I only snapped like four pics, and three of them were of her clinging to her daddy. I'm pretty sure I only took the pictures because she was literally all but completely swallowed up by her ginormous backpack. I thought it was funny and worth documenting. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete

Pageviews last month