Friday, December 10, 2010

Magic Without Me

If you were looking for the first post in about 87 posts that would be less sappy...this is not that post. Stop by another time. :) If you're okay with my recent gush, proceed.

The cd currently playing in my car is a random classic Christmas selection I inherited when I married my husband. Lots of hymns. A little Rudolph, but lots of hymns. Regarding this cd, I had a funny moment talking on the phone with my mom while grocery shopping.

Me: Oh yeah--William is singing Christmas carols in the car.

Mom: How do you know?

Me: Because he's trying to say "triumphant."

I guess I didn't realize that was funny until she laughed about it. It'd made me smile, you know, but before then, I didn't really think about how funny it is that my two-year-old can't say "bunny," and yet he's attempting "triumphant." Oh well. We hung up the phone and I was thinking about glimpsing at red lights his little face looking out the window, quietly trying to sing along, and it occurred to me...you know, he only does that with "O Come All Ye Faithful." He doesn't really try to sing along with the others. This must be his way of expressing that he really likes the song at the very least. He may actually have a favorite Christmas carol.

You don't often think about that sort of thing with a kid who can't communicate much. You don't really think about giving him choices or asking him questions or noticing his favorites. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have 'em.

So, we were driving from the grocery store to pick up Nora at preschool, and on the way, I thought, I'm going to turn that song on. So I did, and immediately looked in the rear view mirror. His face instantly lit up and again, he very quietly attempted to sing along with a song that beckons the listener to come, come look at Christ. Behold Him and rejoice.

Now, he probably doesn't know what all that means, but whatever. I still had tears streaming down my face all the way to preschool. The deeper meaning of the song clumsily tumbling out my child's mouth was enough to turn me into Niagra, but to see him truly enjoying one certain Christmas song--just the way Nora does--put an indescribable joy in my heart.

All season, I've been beating my brains out trying to make this holiday special for my special-needs family. But they've known all along how magical it is.

I know, because they just taught me.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that makes me want to cry with happiness!! That just warmed my soul... how beautiful.

    You are doing so well with all of this - I know I don't know you super well, but I just wanted to tell you I think you're doing amazing.

    You are in my prayers and thoughts, and I really admire your creativity and determination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was laughing...now crying! That's just beautiful, Maura. I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Pageviews last month