Was that word made up? Yes.
So, yesterday was a hard day. It was a day that was spent learning of awful tragedies happening to various friends. Houses burned down, babies died, babies are struggling being made, suicide letters were written (not by me). Those were all different people. I felt it with all of them. It was just a heavy day.
So that was followed by today, when I finally had had it with the children's hospital we've been waiting on for 3 weeks, so I called them for a little conversation that would start with a, "hey, what's up?!" Really. They've had William's paperwork for three weeks and I've been waiting to hear from them, all while they lost his report and called the wrong people. I was thinking that this would be the process:
1. They call me, we make an appointment with Developmental Pediatrics (this is the program kids can enter and through which they can receive treatment during that awful in-between 12-18 months where we're seeing ASD symptoms, and when they can be diagnosed).
2. William would be a part of Developmental Pediatrics until I could push someone hard enough to have them concede to an ASD test.
3. 6-8 month waiting list for test.
4. William is tested for ASD in January.
Apparently, I'm way off. The process would be nothing of the sort. This is what they told me.
1. The doctor wants William to see a behavioral specialist for evaluation.
Okay, that's cool. When can we do that?
2. Someone will be calling you in 6-8 weeks to set up an appointment.
Silence.
To set up an appointment? We're setting an appointment in 6-8 weeks?
3. Yes. And that appointment is looking like it's going to take place around January.
*Stifling urge to drive an hour to the hospital and shove my phone in her ear canal*
Okay. Is there anything I can do until then?
4. No. Just stay in contact with your primary care physician.
Yeah, thanks. I'll try not to lose her card.
*Forehead smack* So, I have three options:
1. Drive an hour to the hospital and shove my phone in her ear canal.
2. Sit on the floor and cry.
3. Call PMCH. This is the hospital that wanted to set William's actual test for November.
Since November is sooner than January, and since it's the actual test and not another pointless evaluation...I opted for option #3.
They took all our info., and someone will be calling me next week to set the test for November.
HWAH. See how proactive that was?
I'm totally sane.
http://www.autismsource.org/
ReplyDeletego here and put in your city, state. then check off medical/diagnostic sources. there's a whole list of them in your area. i think it's ridiculous to wait that long to get a test for autism. william need the right kind of service now.
And totally awesome. :)
ReplyDelete