Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Birthday, Someone Else.

My entire family forgot my birthday today. Immediate and extended. That's always nice. But you know. Christ is risen, so who wouldn't forget? Genuinely, it's okay. I get it.

God thought maybe I could use a laugh, I think, so we went to George's aunt and uncle's to celebrate Easter. Well, that's not the funny part. I'm going to tell you a little tale of dessert.

So, we get there, and Aunt Janet's all talking about this mysterious dessert we're going to have. At various points she suggests that we'll have to get out our singing voices. She gets the cake, which is an ice cream cake, at one point, and another guest suggests, perhaps furtively, that maybe she shouldn't get it out yet. She hides it on the counter.

After lunch, she once again eyes us all suspiciously and suggests that someone should get out mysterious said dessert. We all must ready our singing voices. I'm feeling a little embarrassed, but think it's pretty sweet.

Okay. Cake hits the table. It says, "Happy Birthday...," wait for it...

"Janet."

Oh snap.

The good news is, I learned these two important bits of information: 1) Aunt Janet and I share a birthday, and 2) if you want a cake, get it yourself.

Yep. That happened.

5 comments:

  1. snort.

    But please tell me you're procuring a cake for yourself. :) And were I there, I would get one for you.

    But since I'm not, perhaps I'll bake one in your honor anyhow and eat it myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I think that's a very good idea! You totally deserve an entire cake. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How in the bloody HELL did your entire family forget your birthday?! Good Lord that's terrible! yeah, I said it, no mercy! That sucks! LOL Pretty sure I would have cried... I mean, sheesh!

    I've nothing else to say that I won't regret. LOL That was pretty throughtless though... you are so fantastic & forgiving... I should take lessons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was just so funny by the end of it. I couldn't help myself. And, also, by the end of the day I did get some phone calls, which was nice. And this week, my parents had the most wonderful little dinner for me. It turned out all right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your sense of humor & forgiving spirit are in better shape than mine! haha...

    ReplyDelete

Pageviews last month