Monday, April 26, 2010

Sleep? That's It?

Yesterday, George all but pushed me out of bed to get ready for church. This was after nearly twenty minutes of "Maura, get up. Maura, you need to get up. Maura. Maura. Maura (nudge), it's almost 8. Maura." Yeah, you can see how that went.

Finally, I was up, he was up, kids were up. I was to shower, he was to feed them breakfast. But I didn't want to go to church. I just couldn't see myself going. The thing is, all you crazy evangelicals have this very novel thing called a nursery. We Orthodox do not. Explanation: it's supposedly the goal to immerse the children in the liturgy every week from the time that they're born, surrounding them always. Like, one-big-happy-family style. On most days, I think this is brilliant. Those days are Monday through Saturday. I will say this: it is rewarding to hear your child singing along with "Christ is Risen." I will also say this: it is a fight start to finish, on the practical front.

So, on that particular yesterday, I just didn't have it in me. I went downstairs and told him so. He said, ok. Cool. We'll go visit Aunt Mindy. So, an hour later, they were out the door, leaving me here to do whatever I wanted until 4pm.

I went straight back upstairs and slept from 9-12:30. I don't think a nap has ever felt so good to me. Not even when the kids were newborns. I didn't even wake up wishing I'd spent the time doing something productive. In fact, I went downstairs then and watched TV for another hour.

So, is that it? Did I just need sleep? Could it be true?

Are my problems really that simple?! If I sound delighted by that prospect, I assure you; I am not. Because, here's what: #1) he can't run off to Aunt Mindy's with the kids every time I feel tired, and #2) William is having, and has had, off and on, awful sleep issues since December. So, I'm always going to be tired, and there's maybe one weekend a month I can do something about it. Well, until we get William's sleeping issues taken care of. But, you know, I've always been a star about that. My kids sleep like freaking new puppies.

We'll see what all that means, I guess.

Oh, in other news, I have dropped another two pounds (finally), which means I am half a pound away from my goal weight. I should be more excited than I am, actually. I thought it would look different. I need a new goal at this point, because I'm not satisfied yet. I am still deciding about whether I just want an additional 5 lbs. gone or just say I want to tighten up my legs and abs. Maybe one equals the other. *shrug*

Well, the little guy's awake, so I'm off.

Why is it nobody has to nudge him awake over the course of twenty minutes?

4 comments:

  1. Yes, lack of sleep can play a big part in depression.

    I don't suppose the angels nap at the same time, do they? Cuz that would be convenient for you... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do, actually. I mean, usually. But you know, there's dishes. And there's lunch--spread across three rooms and on floors, chairs, and counters alike. I usually don't end up sleeping because of that. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh right. Ick. I remember when Jonathan was at home during the day - I'd always think I'd nap while he was down and it rarely happened. sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mm hm, yep. Sleep will do it. Lack of sleep will do it, too. Is there any way you can go to bed earlier? Even a few extra minutes of sleep can make a pretty big difference.

    I'm in the same boat. Gnarly's sleep is awful. A good night is when I get up with her twice. And I have to go to work in the morning. No wonder I'm not a happy camper most days.

    -Tanya

    ReplyDelete

Pageviews last month